Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fifty-Four Days

I carefully stepped out of bed and just stood for a minute until I was sure I wouldn't have a knee explosion.  Good to go.
Downstairs, I was on my leg (with crutches) as little as possible.  A minimal amount of personal grooming, tea and just enough oatmeal for me to feel safe taking a multi-vitamin.  Oh, and I washed a couple of windows so when someone asked me what I did today I wouldn't have to say I JUST sat on the couch.
About 8:30 I went to my pink perch (couch).
It was about 10 AM and I usually don't feel like I've wasted the day until around 2 so I was feeling pretty good.  What the hell?  Now my left knee was swelling.  Of course my right knee was swollen...just go ahead and assume that is the case unless I tell you differently.  The pain wasn't horrible (a 6 or 7?)...'ambulance' hadn't even entered my mind....but I was having a really hard time moving.  Rain was in the forecast (always my first thought).  I had to get some fresh air.  Vince says even though we don't get a signal here, 911 would still work.  Slap me, but I put some special blue on my skis and headed out along the river with the phone.  I managed to propel myself to King Farm Road and back in 1:10.  A record for slow.  I stopped and sat a minute on a rock at the side of the trail.  The trip back was a little easier.  The day was mild, windless and overcast.  Very therapeutic.
When I got to within 50 feet of the house the pain started talking to me....still not a 10 but similar enough to the pain on it's way to a 10.  Without even taking my boots off I was breaking a vicodin in half until I remembered not 'staying ahead of the pain' nightmares and took the whole thing.  It's scary being here by myself not knowing what causes the spontaneous explosions.
Anyway.  No ill consequences with the ski.
Did 20 minutes of upper body only on the rowing machine.  I'll bet the left knee was reacting to the last few days of the one-legged indoor exercising.  None of that today...couldn't if I wanted to anyway.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home