Wednesday, March 14, 2012

One Day

Skied 3:15.  Took my old knees on their last trip.  Oddly sad.
Spent the day packing, scrubbing my borrowed commode and walker, commenting to emailed good wishes, answering phoned good wishes, showering with special soap, washing sheets, vacuuming dust (infection prevention) and fretting.
Generally a good day.
"Is there anything I can do for you?" asked my friend John today on the phone in reference to my surgery and rehab.  I thought for a second then said, "I have a Netflix at the Post Office and I don't have a car.  Can you pick it up for me?"  He left work and rode his bike to the PO.  Knee surgery = Power.

Huber, the surgeon called.  He got my skewed hip photos.  He mostly wanted to chat about tomorrow and make sure I understood that if we did a partial, since we can't predict the future, I may need more work done in the future (?total?  ?another compartment?).  He said that in someone so 'young', he really wanted to minimize the surgery and not replace the whole knee if the only bad part was the kneecap.  It looks as though that is all that has to be replaced but until he gets in there and scopes them, he won't know for sure.  If he gets in there and they are totally trashed he will do a total tomorrow.  If he gets in there and 2 compartments are trashed, he will have a custom knee made for me and I will come back. :(  I decided that since it is likely I will need only the knee cap compartment, I would trust him to make the decision..it is worth the gamble (shooting for the partial even though I may have to come back if a partial won't work or have another surgery in 10-15 years.  He said as far as the other compartments are concerned...I am not symptomatic.
We ended with 'see you tomorrow'  which sounds so casual.  Nevertheless, I am very anxious.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home