Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day Twelve

Sleeping was OK.  Since I started taking the ms contin I don't dread bed anymore.

This morning I was pretty stiff (which, as it turns out is pretty normal...dah) and the baker cyst things were bumming me out so I felt like I should take the day off at least until PT got here.

The physical therapist came.  Cringing, when she pulled out her calipers, I wasn't looking forward to knowing how little progress in flexion I had made since the last time I'd seen her.

Measurements:
Sitting on the bed using my hamstrings to hold the knee angle = Left/86 degrees; Right/85 degrees.
Sitting on a metal kitchen chair = Left/7-98 (last time 95) degrees; Right/5-101 (last time 96) degrees.
She remembers the extensions being in the teens last time but I didn't write it down.  So anyway....not great but better.  I have this discouraging piece of paper that I got in the hospital and seems to be in my face no matter where I'm sitting,  that says at the 4 week mark I should be 0-120.  (the low number is how many degrees my knee is up off the table when the legs are out straight in front of me and the big number is how many degrees my knees bend...without assistance in this case.

Now for the best part....I got on my bike.  At first there was no way I could do a complete pedal stroke, (Dad told me I should raise the seat:))but later, if I had one pedal under a heel with my toes pointed I could jerkily go around.  I can't imagine any better way of stretching and flexing.   I asked her about using the rowing machine and as I was going into my plan of hanging a trapeze thing from the ceiling in order to get on it (since it is so low). she suggested I wait a week.

Anyway, it was good to get an outside perspective and some concrete measurements because I am progressing even though I was sure I was sliding backwards.

Dug out some compression tube sox to help control swelling.  The inside of my left knee can go up to a 9 on the pain scale at times....but just for a couple of minutes.

Now if I can just figure out an easy way to gain ten pounds.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home