Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day Forty

Yippee.  Physical therapy tomorrow.  I can't wait and I'm nervous.  Therapist Vinny hasn't seen me walk since I watched the Youtube videos.  I want to surprise him.  The sharp pain in the front left knee still keeps me from being able to bring my knee through smoothly but I may be able to grin a bear it for a few strides.

He sees every step I take from the time I get out of the car and walk across the parking lot until I leave.
"I saw you walking from the car," he says every time.  Then a little later, "I saw you walking down the hall."  I can't take a step without him seeing it.  I guess that's part about being a good physical therapist (actually, I think he's and athletic trainer)

Rode about 15 miles on the Stowe bike path again today.  Nothing is more fun these days.  The first pedal stroke surprised me with a painful protest at the top of it.  I forgot the knees don't bend that well yet.  A short involuntary scream, couple more revolutions and I was warmed up.  It was all good until, at the end, when I got to the car, stopped and couldn't lift my leg over the seat to get off (I probably could have but convinced myself I couldn't) and had to have Vin tilt the bike and pull it out from under me.

For my knee comrades.
Now, about my finger's blood vessel incident that may be related to the surgery...
All I was doing is sponging down the sink.  Suddenly I felt a pop in the inside of the middle section of my right ring finger.  I looked and there was a purple star shaped mass turning purpler .  I felt and it was hard.  My finger was dark red.  It hurt but not as bad as that sharp pain in the front left knee.  More of a tingle.  Half an hour later purple star morphed into a whole purple finger mid section and stayed that way.  I googled 'spontaneous hematoma finger' (sometimes you just don't know what to call things) and there were tons of forums.  Evidently I'm not the only one it's happened to.   Seems like it could have had something to do with taking coumadin (blood thinner/blood clot precaution) after surgery.  Always something.  The tingling stopped almost immediately and now, the purple band is barely visible.  I'm going to make a point of getting more vitamin K (greens...helps with clotting which is usually what you want) and vitamin C to strengthen my blood vessel walls.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home