Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Days Fifty-One, Two, Three and Four

Thought I'd give you a break from my complaining but SURPRISE...

Day fifty-one was the day we flew to Ohio, my first trip through airport security with new knees...and the machine didn't even notice them!  No flashing lights or sirens.  I was bummed.

Airports are good practice for doing normal things like walking.  It was slow and painful but I felt like it was good for me.  At one point I even willed myself into passing the woman walking in front of me.

Next time we'll drive to Athens (Ohio) so I have my luggage when we get to the hotel.  I was led to believe my lost bag would show up at the hotel in a few hours and when it got to be around midnight I called the airline baggage people.  They said they had no way of knowing where the bag was or when it would be delivered since they had released it to a sub-contractor that they had no way of contacting.  Does that seem weird to you?  I waited a half hour then called again, told them about my knees, that I had medication etc.* in the bag and needed some details.  They classified my situation a 'medical emergency' and 5 minutes later the driver called me with an update.  Imagine that.

I did some PT during the Burlington airport delay and practiced my gait on a hotel treadmill where unweighting just that little bit allows me to walk pain free. 

*The medication was the Celebrex (no emergency but at least I wasn't really lying) and the etc. were my hiking poles.

Most of day fifty-two was spent with a realtor.  A lot of slowly in and out of cars and slowly up and down steps.  Good practice like the airport.  Ended the day on rented one-speed cruisers for a couple hours along the bike path followed by lots of ice.

We rented one-speed cruisers to start day fifty-three and rode the bike path for an hour and a half.  It was a little harder for me today than yesterday like I thought it might be but a couple of ice filled 'fresh scented' doggy poop bags on the way to the airport had me pretty comfortable (and my knees smelling like cheap perfume).

Day Fifty-Four.  My PT included 20 minutes on the stationary bike.  I'm getting better at squats.  When I flex my quads, I can actually see them move.  The hot spot on the lower inside of the left knee is still squeaky feeling but maybe? hurts less.  I still have the hitch.  Maneuvered through making dinner, laundry and vacuuming.  If I didn't have that hitch I would be starting to think that maybe I'll get better.  Flexion is still a lot better in the left (yes left) knee.  The right is pretty swollen.  Still don't look forward to trying to sleep or having to get out of bed but the other parts of the day aren't bad.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home