Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day Ninety

Day ninety?  How did that happen?

Had therapy with Vinny this morning.  First visit after the cortisone shot and it was brutal.  For starters, he worked on the right knee's flexion.  Because I don't know how to describe my discomfort during his manipulation, I'll exaggerate and say I almost fainted*.

Once I regained consciousness, with a record flexion reading of 127, he scooted me through a long list of take-home strength exercises and told me to do them every other day.  Every other day sounded good.

Stretching though?  2-3x/day.  Mostly that's OK.  Good in fact.  Except for the flexion stuff.  Vince, the husband, was supposed to 'do' my knees tonight but I wouldn't let him near them.  They're (especially the right) still screaming from Vinny and even though I'll always do the hard thing if I know I really should, I just couldn't.  Without tonight's session I'm going to loose some of this morning's hard-earned benefit but worse things have happened.

If I could have anything I wanted I would get a leg press.  And if you had a choice of 1) leaning up against a hard wall doing way fewer squats than you thought you'd done or 2) getting the same benefit laying on a padded bench with a padded headrest pushing a padded panel back and forth with your legs, you would too.  30 reps-both legs; 30 reps-left leg; 30 reps-right leg**, then again.  I could have laid there all morning.

Lost track of how many lengths (with the 127, that's two records today) of the Stowe Bike Path I did this afternoon when I ran into Allison and Kestral and rode with them. 

*sounds wrong but it's supposed to feel like that
**The leg press is a good measure for 'equal' and I was astonished at how much weaker my right leg was than my left.  Historically, my right leg had always been stronger but having been off it with crutches the 5 months before surgery evidently did more than I realized.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home