Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day Niney-Seven

A flat one hour ride on the Northampton bike path with no one chasing or recognizing me was a perfect prelude to sitting in the car for 4 1/2 hours with a bag of frozen pearl onions on my right knee.  I can't say that the any of the pain I am still experiencing is excruciating but my level of discomfort is very high.  Especially the right knee,* lower back and hips (I've read the back and hip pain is not completely uncommon after total knee replacements and I'm not complaining, just informing).   

No one is scolding me for not doing my PT stretches today but still I feel lazy and guilty.  I'm such a burden to myself. 

I'm thinking I'll take some time off from the right knee flexion stretching even though all the books tell me it's that would be a bad idea.  How can that 'discomfort' (I get sick of the work 'pain') be good when it is almost intolerable?

Suffered through a 15 minute walk, each way, for coffee with Vince and our niece Olivia.  If walking hadn't been the pragmatic way to the coffee shop, driving would have had my vote...which also makes me feel lazy and guilty.  I used to love walking everywhere but now I dread it* and can't imagine doing it for fun.  Discomfort from the first step.  Achy not sharp.  Difficult (impossible?) to ignore.  Feels like normal lingering discomfort that will gradually disappear but right now it's frustrating.

Some days I'm thrilled with my progress and other days the same progress just pisses me off.

*I like that the act of walking is possible for me but even on days when it may sound like I enjoy it, the enjoyment is combined with dread and hate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home